Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Opportunity to Reconnect

You know...it's interesting when you move to a new city. I did in 2008, and I am still getting used to my new digs. I've been here about seven months, and I suppose that it takes a while to get used to a new city when you lived in your last city for almost ten years.

But, anyway, what I have found is that a city is like an onion. The more layers you peel away, the more intense the experience becomes. Like how the flavor of an onion seens fuller the closer to the center you get, the more layers you peel away from a city the deeper and more meaningful the experience becomes.

My life has changed drastically this past year. My living situation is one thing - since I moved half way across the country, I knew I was in for a big change, which was welcome. I went from a relatively high priced area to living within reason, from renting a small apartment to a decent size historical house, and reconnecting with my family.

This time, though, is a time when we have have to make a change in our lives, whether large or small. My change was big, my change was welcome, and I feel that I am doing better now because of it. The economy, we all know is in shambles. We are involved in too many wars, and too many Americans have died.

If you have drifted away from your family, I urge you to take the opportunity to reconnect - with your parents, your children, your partner, your spouse...and they will help you through these trivial times. It's amazing how family can get you through the rough stuff.

Oh, and by the way...it's not coffee right now...it's beer. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment